Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reviews on Review, The Rogue

My recent review of Joe McGinniss' book, The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin, has done what I predicted in the small confines of my readership.  In the article I wrote the following in my concluding remarks:
The polarization which marks the life of Sarah Palin as she performs on the national stage is not narrowed by this book. It will add to that polarization, not by fabrication or biased authorship, but by McGinniss lifting the veil behind which both the Palin supporters and her opponents view her performance presently. Those who oppose her now will oppose her more. Those who support her now will continue to build a Palin apologetic that will serve their own self-deception further. Some of the supporters will quietly move to the other side because rationality will require it. Some will remain in her camp but would be relieved if she would simply "go away" from the spotlight. Others will stand firm in their support because of their admiration of her style, rather than her substance. Still others will stand firm in their support of her because she represents a blended ideology of religion and political power that does not normally reach this level of notoriety before it dies under the weight of human ethics and the undeniability of American pluralism.
I originally posted the article on Blogcritics, but once published there I always copy it to my ToddTSays blog and then to the Amazon Customer Reviews. Normally, the books I read and review are about subjects far less volatile than is Sarah Palin. This one has generated a lot more heat than my usually sedate reviews have had in the past. On Amazon, the "helpful" votes have increased by about one per hour since it was first published on Sunday afternoon, September 25.  My previous "helpful" percentage was at 98%.  It's fallen to 87% as of this writing on Tuesday afternoon.

I don't write for approval, nor for "helpful."  I write because I read, and I read because I'm interested in perspectives and experiences beyond my own.  Both reading and writing help me in the process of learning.  Feedback tells me how I'm doing.  I'm happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment