Saturday, October 10, 2009

Studying Genesis

Rather than picking topics for study, a few weeks ago, I decided to start at Genesis 1:1 and take my time reading through the Bible. My format for studying the Scriptures has varied so much over my 40 year history of studying them that I have left many gaps in my reading, tiring of one method or another, and then setting the whole thing aside until the motivation strikes again, sometimes much later than what is good for a Christian.

Realizing that the study of Scripture is essential to learning the truth about God, and recognizing that the length of it alone is enough to be overwhelming, I have yielded to a study format which aligns with goals of a deeper understanding, progressing forward only as I have gained an adequate understanding of the passages I have read, and a fuller recognition of what God has truly revealed about himself in the words written.

So, using the Reformation Study Bible (ESV), along with Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible, I proceeded with a passage by passage study in mid-September. My habit is to mark passages, read study notes pertaining to them, cross-reference passages suggested in both resources, and then to reflect upon the meanings of them. When the passage becomes clear using this method, it is then appropriate and useful to apply that which I have learned about God, my faith, my needs for repentance and acceptance of blessing. Committing these thoughts to prayer, I seek to apply the lessons learned, both in actions toward God and others as well as in my role as a teacher of believers.

This blog picks up only some of those experiences as I have inspiration to write and share. It is not intended to be a daily exercise in order that the blog will remain an outlet tool as opposed to becoming the full purpose of my study.

No comments:

Post a Comment